BLUES CHANGE ENROLLMENT POLICIES FOR SAME-GENDER MARRIED COUPLES
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network are updating our enrollment policies for legally married same-gender couples for individual and group business.
- For products on the Health Insurance Marketplace, the Blues are currently receiving and accepting applications for legally married, same-gender couples.
- For products off the Marketplace, legally married, same-gender couples may submit an application for enrollment online at bcbsm.com.
Beginning Aug. 1, 2014, coverage for legally married, same-gender spouses will be available to all groups that choose to cover them. Customer groups are responsible for ensuring that same-gender spouses meet enrollment requirements, including proof of marriage in a jurisdiction that permits same-gender marriages.
The domestic-partner coverage that is currently available to small and large groups is being updated to align with the new same-gender spousal coverage.
- Domestic-partner coverage will now only be available to members who reside in jurisdictions that do not allow same-gender marriage.
- Members who reside in jurisdictions where same gender marriage is legal will only be eligible for coverage as a spouse if the subscriber’s group provides same-gender spousal coverage. Members must be married in a jurisdiction that allows same-gender marriages.
- Existing members with domestic-partner coverage will be grandfathered and can choose to retain their current coverage.
If you receive questions regarding this issue, refer to the attached FAQ.Go to main navigation